OE21 P.1 Organizational Description
Document a snapshot of the organization (offerings, mission, workforce, etc.)
Helps introduce new workforce and prospective customers to the organization
Approved by: Name, Chair, Leadership Focus Team (LFT)
Lead: (LFT-IT) Support: Other focus teams, FAC
Captures organizational description (offerings, workforce, assets, and other key information)
Introduces new workers, customers, or stakeholders to the organization characteristics
Used to support organizational assessments
Used as part of Baldrige Award Application
Provides a good organization description for new employees to speed up onboarding time
Displays organization information to help customers, prospects and stakeholders understand the full capabilities of the organization
Reference: Baldrige Framework Item P1 Organizational Description
P.1 Organizational Description: The organization has identified its organizational characteristics, including:
(a) Organization Environment and;
(b) Organizational Relationships.
a. Organizational Environment
(1) Product Offerings – A list of main product offerings (including services or programs), including its relative importance of each to the organization’s success, and the mechanisms used to deliver each of them.
(2) Mission, Vision, and Values - Statements of mission, vision, and values, including the organization’s core competencies, and their relationship to the mission.
(3) Workforce Profile - including:
Workforce or employee groups and segments,
Educational requirements for different employee groups and segments,
Key drivers that engage them in achieving the mission and vision,
Organized bargaining units (union representation as applicable), and
Organization’s health and safety requirements.
(4) Assets - A list of its major facilities, technologies, and equipment.
(5) Regulatory Requirements - A description of the regulatory environment under which the organization operates, including the applicable occupational health and safety regulations; accreditation; certification; or registration requirements; industry standards; and environmental, financial, and product regulations.
b. Organizational Relationships
(1) Organizational Structure - The organizational structure and governance system, including the reporting relationships among the governance board, senior leaders, and parent organization, as appropriate.
(2) Customers and Stakeholders - A description of key market segments, customer groups, and stakeholder groups, as appropriate, including their requirements and expectations for the organization’s products or services, customer support services, and operations, as well as the differences in these requirements and expectations among market segments, customer groups, and stakeholder groups.
(3) Suppliers and Partners - A list of suppliers, partners, and collaborators, including the roles they play in the work systems and the producing and delivering essential products or services and customer support services. Enhancing the organization’s competitiveness, mechanisms for two-way communication with suppliers, partners, and collaborators, and the role, if any, that these organizations play in contributing and implementing innovations in the organization; and the main supply-chain requirements, as appropriate.
End of Baldrige Framework Policy Statement for Organization Profile Part 1.
Figure P.1-1 Process Flow Diagram for P.1 Organizational Description
Figure P.1-2 Process Chart Instructions for P.1 Organizational Profile
Inputs to P.1 Organizational Profile
P.1-LFT-S Organizational Profile Part 1 (survey)
List of Survey Responders (with email addresses; created by LFT)
Measurement and Analysis Tools and Techniques
Outputs from P.1 Organizational Profile
Milestone 1 - Prepare for and conduct P1 Survey
Milestone 2 - Review P1 Survey Results
Milestone 3 - Create P.1 Organization Description
P.1 Implementation Instructions
P.1 IMPLEMENTATION INSTRUCTIONS
Note: Implementation of P.1 is led by the LFT-IT and supported by the other focus teams (CFT, OFT and WFT). When complete, the P.1 document is reviewed and approved by the LFT (CEO, CFO, etc.)
Task P.1.1 Download and review the 2019-2020_Baldrige_Framework_Criteria_Commentary (pdf). Read section P.1 Organizational Description to learn its purpose and use.
Task P.1.2 Review P.1-LFT-S Organizational Profile Part 1 (survey).
Task P.1.3 Make a list of survey responders. The people in your organization who know the most about the organization are ideal responders to the survey. Usually, a small group of people is adequate. They will respond to the questions in P.1-LFT-S Organizational Profile Part 1 survey.
PROGRESS: You have reached Milestone 1 (good work). Input the status [16%] on the organization's OE21 Intranet Main page alongside the title of this standard.
Task P.1.4 Launch the LFT P.1 Organizational Description Survey. The C.1 OE21 Survey Process and C.2 OE21 Decision Support Tools common standards demonstrate how the surveymethods.com survey system works, how to send surveys to responders, and how to export survey results and use them with selected OE21 analysis tools.
Task P.1.5 Close and Export Survey. After responders have submitted their inputs to the survey login then close the survey. Next, use the survey system to export the results to a spreadsheet file (see Quick Learning Video).
Task P.1.6 Review Survey. Review the P.1 Organizational Description Survey export file, to make sure the data collected are accurate, valid, and complete.
NOTE: When your organization has finished conducting and exporting this survey, go to your Intranet OE21 Main page and use your organization's link to this survey to review the results.
PROGRESS: You have reached Milestone 2 (good work). Input the status [32%] on the organization's OE21 Intranet Main page alongside the title of this standard.
Task P.1.7 Create P.1 Organizational Description Document. Survey responders and Focus Teams collaborate to create a three-page P.1 Organizational Description document file. The 3-page limit applies only if you intend to submit the P.1 document as part of a Baldrige Award Process. The applications for Baldrige Awards typically allow a maximum of five pages for the Baldrige Profile (Parts 1 and Part 2 combined).
Task P.1.8 - Audit and save the final P.1 Organizational Description document.
Task P.1.9 - (Recommended) - Publish the P.1 Organizational Description on your organization's INTRANET (non-public access).
Task P.1.10 Notify your workforce that this content is available on your Intranet and provide a link to that page.
Result: - P.1 Organizational Description published. See the Value Added section of this OE21 page.
PROGRESS: You have reached Milestone 3 (congratulations). Input the status [100%] on the organization's OE21 Intranet Main page alongside the title of this standard.